Warning Behaviours in teens
VERBAL SIGNS (What your friend might be saying.)
"I want to die."
"I don't want to live anymore." Indirect statements:
"I want to go to sleep and never wake up."
"You’ll be sorry when I'm gone."
"It'll be over soon."
"I want the pain to end."
BEHAVIORAL SIGNS (What your friend might be doing.)
1. Depression, sadness
2. Lack of energy
3. Any changes in sleeping habits (increase or decrease in sleeping)
4. Any change in appetite (increase or decrease in eating)
5. Impatience and irritability
6. Inability to concentrate (becoming bored and listless)
7. Previous suicide attempt
8. Giving away possessions
9. Making final arrangements (will, insurance, funeral)
10. Increased risk taking (driving a car recklessly)
11. Frequent accidents (An accident can mask a suicide attempt.)
12. Lessening of interest in friends and social life
13. becoming restless and hyperactive or dull and listless
14. Drop in grades by good student, or sudden interest in grades by poor student
15. Feelings of hopelessness
16. Isolation from family
17. Fascination with death
18. Loss of interest in hobbies, sports, job
SITUATIONAL SIGNS (What might be happening to your friend)
3. Low self-esteem
4. Lack of hope or communication
5. Trouble with the law
6. Drug and alcohol abuse